“SAP Business One for Meat is tailored to our food processing business and meets management needs.
It has helped us streamline the business process, improve operations efficiency, and enhance data visibility, while minimizing the cost and risk of implementation.”
Sean Willis, Managing Director, Douglas Willis Ltd
- Name: Douglas Willis Ltd
- Location: Newport, UK
- Industry: Consumer products – food – meat Products and services: Raw, partially cooked, and fully cooked, beef, chicken and pork products; a variety of produce and retail products
- Employees: 100
- Website: www.douglaswillis.co.uk
- Implementation partner: DEM UK
Challenges & Opportunities
- Accommodate rapid sales growth and business expansion
- Comply with stringent food safety requirements Manage increased complexity of business processes and variety of products
- Update, centralise, and standardise business processes
- Strengthen management control of enterprise operations
- Achieve real-time product tracking and tracing Support management decision making with real-time information access and data analysis
SAP® Solutions and Services
- SAP® Business One application
- Secured executive-level sponsorship and participation in the project
- Selected an experienced implementation partner with proven methodology
- Mapped business processes to enterprise requirements
Why SAP & DEM
- SAP’s market leadership and reputation DEM’s deep understanding and experience of the Meat Processing business
- Scalability of the software and ability to support best-practice business processes
- The software’s power, affordability, and ease of use
- Ability to meet enterprise demand for industry-specific functionality, factory floor data capture, integrated weighing, integrated labelling, data analysis, and configure ability
- Flexibility to support ongoing business needs
- Standardised and optimised business processes with enhanced operational control
- Better tracking and monitoring of product quality, along with traceability in real time
- Improved cash-flow efficiency and increased visibility of the cost structure
- Greater support for enterprise decision making with multi-perspective reporting tools and key performance indicator analysis
DOUGLAS WILLIS Group opened its first facility in the 1940’s, in South Wales, and has provided high-quality food products to the retail, wholesale and food services sectors since then.
The company today employs over 100 people across its meat and retail facilities in the UK.
“Our goal is to provide high quality, locally produced meat to a sustainable customer base through operational excellence” says Sean Willis, MD of Douglas Willis.
Selecting a New System and Partner
After evaluating its business requirements and researching available software solutions, Douglas Willis selected SAP Business One for Meat. “We believe that SAP was the right choice for us,” Sean Willis explains. “The software supports best practice business processes for many industries and is highly regarded worldwide.”
During its software selection process, Douglas Willis carefully evaluated implementation partners and selected DEM UK. “We believe DEM has strong technical capability, a professional and stable consultant team, good experience in providing ERP solutions for the meat and food industry, and a strong track record for mid-sized clients,” Sean Willis says. Furthermore, DEM’s unique ability in the UK to offer integrated factory floor hardware, weighing equipment, warehouse and logistics scanning devices and label printing made it a one stop shop for all of our hardware, software and weighing requirements.
Re-engineering the Business Process
Through active collaboration between the project and business teams, as well as good co-operation with DEM consultants, Douglas Willis achieved a very successful implementation of SAP Business One for Meat. The company re-engineered business processes to take full advantage of SAP standard functionality as well as customised development that was tailored to the meat industry.
“Seamless cooperation between the project team and external consultants was critical for the success of the project. We required everyone from the team, including our consultants, to understand our business in depth. Everyone worked diligently,” Sean Willis says.
For example, to embed the company’s stringent quality and food safety requirements into the software, the DEM implementation team used food tracing functionality based on standard functions in SAP Business One for Meat solution. “We can now trace our products back to their source of origin in just minutes, and all the way through the quality inspection stage, and we can research other factors to meet product recall requirements,” Sean Willis explains. “We also implemented a warehouse and logistics module to control the supply chain and make it more efficient.
“We’re able to deal with shelf life in a timely manner, which significantly reduces the risk of obsolete stock as well as error and waste caused by manual operations.”
Sean Willis, MD of Douglas Willis Ltd
Comments are closed.